Sunday, June 14, 2009

Così at the Backstage Buzz 6/16

As I attempt to channel James Lipton, I'll chat with with members of the cast and creative team this Tuesday afternoon, and we'll get to the heart of this Così  fan tutte thing.  


Why should I care about these people in this opera?  What challenges have Dorabella and Ferrando (the roles played by the two singers on the panel) posed to their creators? And seriously, what's up with this "disguise" plot device?  How did this Così end up in a laboratory? Are Mozart's music and da Ponte's libretto at odds with each other?  And who does end up with whom in the end?

We'll tackle all this and more.  Got a question for the panel?  Post it in the comments or email it to me, and I'll try to squeeze it in!  And if you're in the area and would like to attend, write us at wtoc@wolftrap.org.  Seating is limited.

We go into technical rehearsals in a few days, but until then I'll relish a few stolen hours on my porch.  It's perfect early summer weather in Virginia, but it's good that the low humidity and cool breezes only last so long. Otherwise I'd have to figure out a way to run an opera company from a wicker chair.  Or run an opera company that rehearses and performs here.  (Since I posted this idea on Facebook a few minutes ago, friends have begun suggesting a repertoire... Porch Song Trilogy... Porchy & Bess... and my own contribution, Porchis Godunov.)

No comments: